- olive oil 1 tbsp
- banana shallots 500g, halved lengthways and tough outer layers removed
- oloroso sherry 200ml
- chicken stock 200ml
- thyme a few sprigs
- bay leaf 1
- butter 50g, diced
- Heat the oil in a wide, deep pan and cook the shallots for 10 minutes, tossing regularly, until the shallots are browned all over.
- Add the sherry, stock, thyme, bay and a little seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, turning the shallots every now and again, then remove the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the shallots are very soft and the liquid has reduced to a near glaze.
- Add the butter, a cube at a time, stirring and waiting for each piece to fully dissolve before adding the next.
Recipe from OliveMagazine.com